—by Kate Feil, Story City Historical Society Director
This week we are featuring the Mrs. Lars Thorson Home located at 815 Elm Ave. In the October 16, 1913 edition of the Herald, it was noted that Mrs. Thorson sold her interest in the farm east of town to her step-children, Tom and Wier Thorson, and that she would move into town. She bought a lot in L.J. Tjernagel’s Home Addition and built her new residence thereon.
L.J. Tjernagel’s newly laid out Home Addition was first described in the October 9th, 1913 edition of the Herald. The drawing of the Home Addition, which can be viewed on the Herald website, was originally shown in the October 9th issue. Mrs. Thorson’s lot is number 21. The Home Addition was advertised as being located within a thousand feet of the four churches, cemetery, the schoolhouses, and the business streets.
If you would like to take a driving tour of all of the Century Homes and Buildings, maps are available at the Bertha Bartlett Public Library, 503 Broad St. or at the Carriage House Museum, 619 Grand Ave.
(This is the 11th in a series of articles featuring the various century homes and buildings of Story City, as compiled and researched by Story City Historical Society Director Kate Feil.)