The school board election is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 12, and absentee voting began on Monday.
In the Roland-Story school district, two at-large seats will be on the ballot. One candidate is running unopposed for each seat.
Michaela Carlson is seeking re-election; she was first elected to the board in 2013.
Newcomer Tammy Hansen is candidate for the other seat.
Boyd Brodie, who has been on the R-S school board since 2006, decided not to seek re-election.
Story County Auditor Lucy Martin announced recently that absentee voting would be available beginning Monday, Aug. 14.
All eligible voters residing within the seven school districts controlled by Story County (Ames, Ballard, Collins-Maxwell, Colo-NESCO, Gilbert, Nevada and Roland-Story) can vote at the Story County Auditor’s Office. Office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The auditor’s office is located on the second floor of the Story County Administration Building, 900 Sixth St., Nevada.
On Election Day, there will be two local voting centers available: Roland Area Community Center, 208 N. Main St., Roland; and Story City Community Center, 503 Elm Ave., Story City.
Important Dates to Remember
• Friday, Sept. 1: Voter pre-registration deadline. Following the deadline, Election Day registration rules apply. Completed registration forms must be in the Auditor’s Office by 5 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 8: Deadline to request a mailed absentee ballot.
• Monday, Sept. 11: Last day to vote absentee in-person (except Roland-Story voters).
• Monday, Sept. 11: Mailed ballots must be postmarked no later than today in order to be considered.
• Tuesday, Sept. 12: Voters in the Roland-Story school district may vote in the Auditor’s Office from 8-11 a.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 12: Election Day. Roland-Story’s polls will be open from noon until 8 p.m. (Other districts will open at 7 a.m.) School election voting locations differ from those of other elections.