On Sunday, July 14, members of Immanuel Lutheran Church will celebrate the 115th anniversary of the congregation. It was in July of 1898 that 46 voting members gathered to organize the church. By 1899 a frame church had been built two blocks north of the present building.
In October of 1900 the congregation called Thor Heimarck to be its full-time pastor. He served the congregation for 45 years. Soon a larger building was needed to accommodate the growing congregation. In October 1915, the vote was taken to build a new church with costs not to exceed $25,000.
For many years all Sunday School classes met in the church basement. In 1962 the education unit was added, and in 1993 the narthex addition was completed. Present membership is 1,100 baptized members.
The congregation will celebrate the anniversary with a special worship service at 9:30 a.m. Pastor Mark Vander Tuig, the national service coordinator for Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ will share the message. Former pastors, Tom Hunt and John Engelstad, as well as present pastors Stephen Anenson and Kurt Jensen will also participate.
Everyone is invited to attend this milestone celebration. A special congregational anniversary dinner will follow the worship service.