The Norsemen football team has earned many honors this season, including many players being named to all-state or all-district teams.
Nathan Bell was named to First Team All-State as a linebacker. Ben Chelsvig was named Third-Team All-State as a running back.
Class 2A District 3 All-District Football Teams have also been announced, and Roland-Story has several players who have been named.
Nathan Bell was named the MVP Defensive player. First-team players are Garek Hurd, offensive line; Ben Chelsvig, running back; Austin Hobbs, utility; Matt Hougland, defensive line; Landon Greiner, linebacker; Carter Greenfield, defensive back; Zach Twedt, utility; and Colby Gray, punter.
Second-team players from Roland-Story are Nic Hansen, offensive line; Jakob Pitman, running back; and Brock Tresemer, defensive line.
Honorable mentions were Shane Maglio and Derek Staker.
Academic All-District players are Tristan Balmer, Carson Parker, Sam Diehl, Jakob Pitman, Colby Gray, Ben Chelsvig, Carter Greenfield, Braydon Flattebo, Landon Greiner, Lydon Heifner, Shane Maglio, Nick Stole and Ethan Taylor.
“Garek Hurd has been named to the Class 2A Academic All-State team and he also has been invited to participate in the Nebraska vs. Iowa River Battle Bowl later in November. It is the same game that Calvin and Brett played in last year,” Coach Aaron Stensland said.
“Overall we had a good year, one that when we look back will see that we were in every game,” he said.
The Norsemen lost games by 2, 3, 7 and 8 points this year.
“Those are all one possession games that could have gone either way. The kids worked hard the entire season even with the really early start due to playing a Week 0 game,” Stensland said.
“We had a couple games where an injury or two probably made the difference in winning and losing and there is nothing you can do about injuries they just happen.
We were happy to set some new records this year both as a team and individually but we are more concerned with winning games on the scoreboard then records. I am really proud of the fact that this was my first senior class that I have had all the way through since I took over four years ago. They produced the first winning record as a senior class since the class of 2011, which tells me our program is heading in the right direction. These seniors did everything I asked of them and I couldn’t have asked for a better group of 10 guys. We are off to a great start already in the offseason and kids are hitting the weight room in hopes of returning to the playoffs next season,” Stensland said.
Following are some of the records that were broken this season as well as players who made Roland-Story’s all-time top 10 lists:
* Most offensive yards in a game with 625 vs East Marshall
* 10th in total offense (knocked the 2016 team out)
* #3 in average offense per game
* 10th in total rushing yards
* #5 in average rushing yards per game
* #10 in average pass yards per game
Also, the seniors (class of 2018) had a 14-13 record in their 3 varsity seasons. That’s the first class to graduate with a winning record since the class of 2011.
Following are the individual stats of interest from the banquet:
* school record for rushing yards in a single season
* school record for average rushing yards per game in a single season
* #6 in single-season all-purpose yards
* #5 in single season average allpurpose yards per game
* #2 in single-season total offense
* #2 in single-season total offense per game
* #3 all-time in receptions
* #3 all-time in receiving yards
* Tied for 3rd in TD receptions
* Tied for 3rd in single-season receptions
* Tied for 3rd in receptions per game
* #9 single-season kick return average per attempt
* #7 career kick return average per attempt
* #6 single-season punt return yardage
* #5 single-season punt return yards per game
* #9 career punt return yards
* #7 career punt return average per attempt
* #2 single-season punt average
* #5 single-season punt yards
* #2 career punt average (with a season to go)
* #2 career punting yards (with a season to go)
* #4 career punt attempts (with a season to go)