Summer is nearly here and ISU Extension and Outreach – Story County has fun programs ready for students. Programs have various topics for various ages of youth completing Kindergarten through eighth grade. For questions or registration information, call 515-382-6551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Programs include:
· June 4 – Urban Gardening from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for youth completing grades 3-6. Ames location to be announced. Plant herb gardens and container gardens. $25.
· Beginning June 10 – Junior Master Gardener will meet Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon at Reiman Gardens for youth completing grades K-3. Learn about soil, water and the basics of growing and maintaining a garden. $13 or $100/all. Register through Reiman Gardens.
· June 10 – Babysitting Basics from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Roland Public Library for youth completing fifth grade or higher. Learn the business of babysitting ages and stages of youth, and how to be safe and responsible including first aid basics and CPR. The Babysitting Basics Program will also be offered June 11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at ISU Extension and Outreach – Story County in Nevada. $25
· June 17 and 18 – Ricochet: An Extreme Leadership Experience from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day at the Economic Development Core Facility in Ames for students from Boone and Story counties that have completed grades 5-8. Learn and practice leadership skills like communication, stress management and decision making. $45
· June 19 – Harness the Wind from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at ISU Extension and Outreach in Nevada for youth completing seventh and eighth grades. Explore how to harness wind for another purpose and use the design process to solve a problem using wind. Take ideas to Iowa State Fair in August. $25
· July 3 – Gardening & 3R’s from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at ISU Extension and Outreach – Story County Extension in Nevada for youth completing grades 3 -6. Learn about gardening and reducing, reusing and recycling. Make a bee/butterfly watering station, bee house, fairy garden and seed starter pots. Learn about over use of garden chemicals. $25
· July 10 – Water Rocks! from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at McFarland Park for youth completing fifth and sixth grades. Learn about biodiversity, watersheds, wetlands, soil and more through scientific investigation, music, art and other interactive activities. Bring a sack lunch. Sign up through Story County Conservation. $20
· July 30 – We Dig Bugs! from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at ISU Extension and Outreach in Nevada for youth completing grades K-3. Learn about composting and beneficial and non-beneficial bugs in the garden. $25
· Aug. 16 – Food Fun! from noon – 6 p.m. at Story County Extension in Nevada from youth completing grades 4-6. Learn how to make healthy lunches to take to school and healthy after school snacks while exploring kitchen science, also kitchen and food safety. $25