A Brief Look at Your School
• Mrs. Vinson’s 7th Grade Science recently started a new unit studying Living Things. They are studying the six characteristics of living things, the four basic needs of living things, binomial nomenclature, taxonomic keys, and classification. The culminating activity of the unit will be a project classifying dragons.
• Elementary Librarian Mrs. Morris would like to say thank you to RS’s fantastic PTO for another wonderful Book Fair! She appreciates all who supported the fair by volunteering and purchasing. Books are great gifts!
• Mrs. D-Ferrell’s Language Arts IV class (formerly Senior English) has spent the last few weeks in the world of Jay Gatsby and the Roaring 20’s. After reading the novel, the seniors watched the 1974 and 2013 movie versions and are currently writing an argument paper discussing which movie is a better reflection of Fitzgerald’s classic novel about the American Dream.
• FFA members Hailey Arthur, Sydney Berends, Tanner Johnson, Brayden Lester, Will McGraw, Nicholas Morgan, Rachel Phelan, Maverick Larson and Jacob Sterle represented Roland-Story at the 2013 National FFA Convention October 28 through November 1, in Louisville, Kentucky. The FFA sponsor is Brad Taylor.
• Mrs. Friest wishes to congratulate two sixth grade students, Addison Popp and Matthew Mehrtens, who sent in their audition recordings and were accepted to be a part of this year’s 5th and 6th grade Opus Honor Choir that will take place on Thursday, November 21, at C.Y. Stephens Auditorium in Ames at 4:00 PM. Tickets to the event can be purchased through Ticketmaster.
• In Chemistry, Mr. Dedic’s students are working on independent projects to show their understanding of chemical and physical properties as well as chemical and physical changes. They are coming up with some good ideas and hopefully learning by doing.