A Brief Look at Your School
• TAG Night for the high school is fast approaching. This evening allows students to discuss projects they have been exploring during the school year with attendees. It is scheduled for the beginning of May. Watch here for more details!
• Mrs. Lettow’s Spanish 4 and 5 classes are teaching the 2nd graders basic Spanish every Wednesday this spring until graduation. Her Spanish 2 just finished up a chapter on holidays and will be doing a research project on how the Spanish-speaking world celebrates holidays differently than the U.S.
• Mrs. Holmes’ 7th grade Health and Leadership class is doing a fund-raiser for Super Cooper. They are raising money to put a handicap swing on the RSMS playground. They are amazed daily at how powerful it is to pull together for a good cause!
• Students in Mrs. Ferrell’s Language Arts II and Language Arts IV classes have welcomed a student teacher, Melanny Henson, to their classroom. Ms. Henson is a student at Drake University.
• The 6th grade band, under the direction of Ms. Bader, has been busy working on music for their concert in May, as well as learning several new major scales. Twelve 6th grade students traveled to Gilbert High School on March 22nd for a SCIBA 6th grade honor band. The students had a lot of fun working with their guest conductor, Paul Bloomquist, the Director of Instrumental Music Activities at Iowa Central Community College, and making friends from various area schools! Meanwhile, 5th grade band students have been working hard on learning new music and becoming stronger musicians on their instruments. They will be performing some fun and recognizable music at the concert on May 9th!
• Mrs. Nielsen’s, Mrs. Canny’s and Mrs. Norem’s students recently held their annual Penny Drive. The students collected $343.18. They worked hard each day to count the money from their assigned classroom. On April 7, students took the pennies to Reliance State Bank and also toured their facilities. The money collected will be used to purchase Angel Tree gifts next Christmas. Thank you to all who supported this project!
• On Monday, April 4th, the Preschool, PreK, and Kindergarten classes went to a play called “Egg”. It was in Des Moines at the Temple Theater. Everyone loved the show, and they would like to thank the PTO for their financial support so they could attend.